Wednesday, February 24, 2010

T Minus 19 Hours

What a cool day today was. Considering the news I received yesterday, I slept amazingly well. I did my best to keep it low key...

After breakfast, we had a group meeting to go over some final logistics (i.e. how to get into the men's finals, a get together with the male officials, etc - important stuff!!!). The crew working the gold game tomorrow afternoon also sat down together with our supervisor to discuss tomorrow's big game. One of my favorite quotes from this discussion was "a moving puck is your best friend".

After our meeting, I did a light workout, relaxed and went to a restaurant on Granville Avenue with family to watch the Canada vs Russia game.

I had a few really cool phone calls today as well. One from the President of TD Waterhouse Private Investment Advice (where I work), from my family, and a couple of media calls from my home town in Peterborough. Check out the article for the Peterborough Examiner at the link below:
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2464932

So, I feel really ready for tomorrow. Although the game is huge, my approach will be to treat it as any other game. I know I'll still find opportunities to take it all in and enjoy though...

I've thought a great deal today about how fortunate I am to get to skate tomorrow. I have not got here on my own. We have an amazing program at home that has provided tremendous guidance, mentorship and support. Tomorrow, I will skate for my family, my friends and my fellow OWHA officials. Thanks to you all!

6 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I have been following your blog for the past few weeks and I just wanted to say a few things..

    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS for getting the gold medal game. I can only image how that must feel. You are realizing the dream of many young female officials all over the country. Wow!

    Secondly, I want to say that you, along with MA and Kerri, are an inspiration. I am a fourth year official in the HNS female OPOE program, and have been truly inspired by your Olympic story.
    There will be many Canadians watching the game tonight wishing they could be the next Haley Wickenheiser or Gillian Apps, but there are a few of us across the country that are hoping to someday become the next Heather Richardson.

    So I want to say thank you for being such a positive role model for female officials across the country.

    I hope you have the time of your life tonight!

    Amy Facey
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply amazing news Heather! Congratulations on being awarded the Gold Medal game. It's fantastic to see your hard work and dedication be rewarded with the highest honour. Very well deserved.
    Skate well my friend and can't wait to hear all about your Olympic experience when you return.
    Debra Ferguson
    Toronto, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I gotta say Heather when I read your "Golden" post and found out you were chosen to line the Gold Medal Game, my eyes filled with tears. Happy ones for you and this amazing experience and journey you are on. Congratulations!!! I am sure you know how proud we are of you and hope you have the greatest time tonight. I have no doubt you will be soaking in the moment, realizing all that you have accomplished so far.
    We will be watching with double pride for Canada's team and for our friends success.
    Jo
    Toronto, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Heather, Congrats on getting the medal game! Can't wait to see you tonight! Love, Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so exicited for you Heather! We'll be watching at home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, to be there at the game was absolutely undesribeable!! I knew I wasn't going to cheer for Team Canada or Team USA...yes, my team was the Officials :) ... specifically Heather, my best-friend!!! I am so proud of you, and it was worth paying an arm and a leg to be there at the game!! What a sweet journey...

    See you soon :)

    LY

    ReplyDelete