Friday, February 12, 2010

Spirit

I arrived in Vancouver yesterday afternoon with Kerri and Mary Anne (the other 2 Canadian officials). Everything went smoothly at the airport. There are so many volunteers pointing everyone in the right direction - they even have people in the baggage claim area to turn all the luggage up on it's side with handles up to make it easier. After some minor confusion over transportation we were whisked downtown to our hotel.

What struck me right away was how the city has been rebranded. Everything at the airport is now blue, green and white - and these colours seem to spill out all over the city. I had a glimpse of Canada Hockey Place (nee GM Place), and it is the same. It has effectively been de-Canuk'ed and de-NHL'ed. Everywhere you look, people are wearing Canadian apparel. You can really start to feel the spirit.

On the agenda for today; breakfast with the girls, officials meeting where we will get our assignments for the next few days, a workout and..... (drumroll please...) the opening ceremonies. I cannot wait. As I sit here writing this, we are also watching the torch relay is winding its way through the city. I have been brought to the verge of tears as I watched Rolly Fox (Terry Fox's father) and Walter Gretzky interviewed and then carry the torch. Both men have such pride, not only in their son's, but in our country.

Its quite a day here in Vancouver... a very special feeling. I'm sure the feeling is filtering across the rest of the country...

No comments:

Post a Comment